- Request Information
The best thing about Sorrento is the spectacular cliffs with magnificent panoramic views over the Bay of Naples – Golfo di Napoli and the grand monster of the volcano Mt. Vesuvious – Vesuvio. Sorrento is built on the top of the cliffs and is a great base to stay to access Pompei, Naples and the Amalfi coast for a day trip as well as take the ferry over the Island of Capri, Procida and Ischia.
Sorrento has always been popular with tourists from England because of its sunny mild climate and in the 18th Century was home to many famous writers including the Shelleys, Browning, Goethe, Swinburne, Gorsky and Ibsen.
Famous for its lemons – you will see lemons painted on everything and of course drink the famous Lemoncello – the great lemon liquor which the Italians drink after dinner for a “digestivo’ ( helps to digest your meal). It is sold in beautiful bottles everywhere. It is usually pure alcohol so drink only in small quantites. Many locals make their own from their lemons.
The ceramic shops are delightful in Sorrento and are very colourful. Sorrento is also famous for furniture design with inlaid wood of tables and chests. This is an ancient and highly specialized craft which has been passed on for generations in this area. The hand made furniture is exquisite and antique pieces can be seen in many noble houses in Europe.
The main shopping street is self evident as it runs right through the town center but the more interesting little shops are around behind and between the main street and the sea edge.
Sorrento won one of the tidiest towns in recent years.
In Sorrento Passion for Italy Recommends…
– From the main piazza in the center of the town walk towards the sea to see the spectacular views over the bay – a great spot is the small Villa Comunale Park on the cliff edge.
– Go for lunch at Marina Grande beach on the water.
– In summer go to see the classical music concerts in the Chiesa di San Francesco Cloisters.
– Take the train to visit Pompei and book one of our private Pompei guides for a two hour tour then go onto visit Herculaneum or climb Mt. Vesuvious – the view out over the bay from the crater is incredible.
– Take the train to Naples for the day.
– Take the ferry across to the islands of Capri, Procida and Ischia.
Sorrento is on the way to the Amalfi Coast on the cliffs of the gulf of Napoli with spectacular views over the sea and Mt. Vesuvious as well as the Island of Capri.